Fall is the time to fire up the fireplaces, turn on the furnace, and get that space heater out of storage. This can increase the risk of residential fire, so follow the safety tips below when heating your home.
Inspect your chimney regularly for cracks and obstructions.
Don't let creosote build up in your chimney, as it could set off a roof fire.
Don't "over build" your fire using too much paper. You could ignite the soot in your chimney.
Never burn charcoal in your fireplace. It gives off deadly carbon monoxide.
Keep your damper open if there are hot ashes in your fireplace. Closing the damper could enable hot ashes to heat up and cause a damaging fire.
Let ashes cool in a sealed metal container.
Before you turn on your furnace, have it inspected by a qualified professional.
Make sure to check the condition of the automatic controls and emergency shutoffs.
If the walls and ceiling around your furnace feel too, add insulation or additional clearance space.
Keep all trash and combustibles away from the furnace.
Check your chimney for cracks or loose bricks.
Seal all unused flue openings with solid masonry.
Make sure your space heater has a working safety light, alarm, automatic shut-off switch, and a cut-off device to prevent overheating.
Keep all objects, people and pets at least three feet away from the heater.
Never use a space heater in your bathroom. Water and electric appliances don't mix.
Courtesy of Homesite Home Insurance
Author:Edna Montijo - Owner Phone: 480-999-1156 Dated: November 16th 2015 Views: 268 About Edna: ...
Report by Ricky KhamisRealtor Report2016 Best Year for Housing in a De
"I'd say he's doing great! I am a business partner of the team and I can say that he has been nothing but outstanding in every regard to mortgage lending. He has a true desire to serve his clients and serve them well. "